Friday, June 5, 2009

The Power of the Team

Dear Managers and Leaders!

Have you ever felt totally energized and in perfect symbiosis when you were part of a team? Have you felt the power of the ideas suddenly flowing through your head just because you’re working with someone else? Have you ever felt that with your team you could accomplish anything, that nothing could prevent you from achieving your goals? We can often feel that in sport teams when a team is capable of winning just because they “play as a team”, even when they are weaker on paper than their opponents.

As a solopreneur myself (yes, an entrepreneur working by himself), I rarely experience this team power. I am usually alone in my office, sharing my space and time with my computer. I am the only one who can motivate myself, set goals for myself, celebrate successes, and assume my losses. It is great at times because I have the freedom to set my own agenda, but being a team player myself, I sometimes miss the energy and elation of being part of a team.

However, this morning, I had a long chat with someone I just started to partner with. I really felt this team energy and power while speaking to him. It felt really good to have someone to share my ideas with and get feedback in real time! There was also this feeling of growing an idea together: “we should do this” one says and the other to respond “yes, and we should add that as well to make it more complete” and so on and so forth. A great feeling indeed!

I have read in many places that leaders often feel alone at the top. I think it can be true because having a relationship with your followers is not the same. People will look at you for the final call. They will not tell you many things that you do not want to hear. Even if you have the most open organization, you will not feel the same freedom.

What I would suggest to those lonely leaders is to build relationships with peers. If you are not at the top of your company, then build strong relationships with your peers, people at the same level as you, likely the people reporting to the same boss. Your team of peers is really important. This is where you can feel team work and spirit for yourself. You can also, and this will also apply to those at the top of their company, build partnership with people who are in similar positions as you. You can do that through social networking on the Internet, you can take part in a professional association, or you can create partnerships with other companies! Once you do that, you will start to feel rejuvenated and energized by the simple fact that you feel you are part of a team or of a community. Doing something with someone else, or with other people will really boosts your motivation and focus.

What about you dear leader? Are you one of the lonely leaders I was referring to above? Are you feeling you are part of a team?

Until next time,

Remi Cote

PS: If you are interested by these postings and would like to learn more about what I can do for you, then please visit www.innovachron.com or contact me directly at remi@innovachron.com.

No comments:

Post a Comment